Special Program for women, veterans, military families and low income homeowners with distressed credit histories and/or no credit scores. No minimum credit score, no income limits (minimum or maximum), and no minimum asset or home equity required.
Loan Products & Rates*
Fees apply depending on improvement. Origination Fee: 2.5% and 1.25% for military discounts + Project Management Fee: 2.75%.
- Special Program for those who qualify.
- Applicant(s) must be the OWNER of the RESIDENTIAL subject property. Immediate family members like children, parents, siblings, grandchildren or grandparents are also eligible to apply with the home owner(s) to finance improvements on their behalf.
- Home must be located in: Florida, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina or Tennessee
- If Primary Applicant is married then the spouse must apply
- All titleholders to the RESIDENTIAL property must apply
- Applicant(s) must prove ABILITY TO PAY (i.e., Employment, Social Security, Disability, etc.)
- Must have demonstrated need and difficulty accessing capital from other lenders
- Property Taxes must be current
- Home Mortgages, auto loans, and credit cards must be current. (with proof if private mortgage)
- Applicants cannot have filed bankruptcy or have had a bankruptcy discharged in the past 12 months
- Co-signer and/or cash guarantee (i.e. 3% of total project cost) may be required depending on the Applicant(s) credit history.
- Must provide inspirational story
For all types of approved home improvement projects (e.g., roofs, AC, solar, hurricane shutters, etc.)
SELF is an approved “field partner” with KIVA.org and posts projects to their worldwide crowdfunding platform.
Make your home safer, greener and more comfortable with a KIVA Loan from SELF
How KIVA Works
SELF will post your profile (picture and brief story) on the KIVA web platform for 30 days. Within this time frame KIVA lenders from around the world are able to read your story and lend to you in increments of $25 until reaching the total amount of the loan.
Frequently Asked Questions
What can be financed?
Home improvements related to energy, wind resistance, and water conservation such as: high efficiency air conditioning, weatherization, insulation, roofs, impact windows, shutters, doors, solar water heaters, and much more.
What is KIVA?
KIVA is the world’s first and largest crowd funding platform for social good with a mission to connect people through lending to alleviate poverty.
With as little as a $25 loan, anyone can help a borrower start or grow a business, go to school, access clean energy and realize their potential.
Since 2005, KIVA and their growing global community of 1.2 million lenders have crowdfunded more than $575 million in microloans to over 1.3 million entrepreneurs in 75 countries, with a 98% repayment rate.